KOS Island

Places You Have To Visit

At Kos city exists famous Casa Romana, a glorious roman villa, with mosaics, murals and a part of roman road. Near Casa Romana is also the Roman Market, that constitutes apart of ancient market. In the Freedom square exists Pane Nteferntar. In center of this building is a dome while the appreciable decorative element in his interior is the round frames with verses from the Korani.
Most important site of kos Island is the Asklipion, hardly four kilometers outside from the capita, in the region of Virgin Mary of Tarsus. It is dated before 4th century B.C. and gave Kos enormous fame at the Hellenistic years. It was a version of modern health center, dedicated to Asklipios, the god of medicine.
At Kos was given birth Hippocrates (460-357 B.C) father of medicine, who promoted pathology, diagnostics, surgical, gynecology and obstetrics specialties. It is world wide known the Hippocrates Oath, that say the new doctors in the start of their career. In the center of the city exists one enormous platan that is supposed to have been planted by Hippocrates and started medicine lessons in his shade. Beside the big plantan is found the pane of Gazi Hasan Pasa, remnant of Ottoman domination.
Means and outside from the city exist many old Christian churches. We distinguish the royal of Saint Ioannis Precursor with important murals of the 12th century and appreciable temple.

Kos Casa Romana

Brief History Of Kos

The island of Kos has been lived since prehistoric years. It blossomed in 4th century B.C. and especially after the foundation of new capital of island in her current place, 366B.C. After the administration from a Persian General, Kos developed again under the commands of Alexander the Great.

At the Roman period Kos lost her prestige while its libraries were mugged. The island came back in its old greatness at the season of Byzantine Empire. Later Kos was conquered from Enets and was sold to the Ionian Knights in 1306. Ionian knights were in control of the island for 200 years, until they abandoned it to the Turkeys.

The Turkish possession held 400 years up to 1912, when undertook the administration of island the Italians. The Germans also passed as conquerors until the end of World War II, where the island devolved to the British administration, which undertook the guarding of island. Kos was incorporated to Greece on March 7, 1948.

kos town

Facebook